As major part of their curriculum and assessment the Senior VCAL students have organised a Careers Seminar entitled “What Employers Want ”. The all-day seminar for Middle and Senior school students will be held in the Multi-Purpose Centre on Friday, 8th September.
The aim of the seminar is to inform students of the attributes employers seek in future employees and will feature speakers from:
· Australian Defence Force
· Ministry, Building and Construction
· Victorian Police Force
· Federation University Jobs & Skills
· Australian Catholic University
· Regent Cinemas
· The hospitality industry and performing arts sector
The speakers will address some of the following topics/questions during the seminar:
• Tells us a bit about the business?
• What is your role?
• Can you tell us a bit about your career journey?
• What attributes do you look for when hiring a young person?
• What character traits are sort after?
• What constructive criticisms could you give about young people you have employed in the past?
• Can you share any examples of good and bad experiences you have had with young employees?
• What benefits do employees enjoy from a career in banking and specifically a community bank?
The VCAL students are required to organise all aspects of the Careers Seminar through from booking the speakers, preparing the program of events, setting up and packing up the venue, to running the event and luncheon. This has required the students to develop their time management, planning and organisational skills.
The Careers Seminar is set to be a wonderful day of learning for both Middle and Senior students, and VCAL students alike.