The “What Employers Want” careers seminar organised by Senior VCAL students this week was a huge success. As a major part of their curriculum and assessment the Senior VCAL students Hayden, Matthew, Samuel, Lachlan, Hannah, Phillipa, Michael and Josiah organised the all-day seminar for Middle and Senior school students.
The day opened with a whole school Chapel that featured drama skits and a Senior students worship band. The service was led by Pastor Ruthie Byrne on “Finding Your Career – Everyone has a call from God. Big or small. We all have an important role to play in the kingdom of God.”
Middle and Senior students then broke into groups to hear talks from:
· Harley Byrne on Building and Construction
· Pastor Nic Johnston, Ballarat Christian Fellowship
· Troy Tregilles, Peri-Operative Services Manager, St John of God Hospital
· James Leviston from Leviston Electricals
· Stewart Moors, General Manager of the Regent Cinemas
· Randall Dreger, Bendigo Bank
· Leading Seaman Blair Smith and Corporal Samuel Hourigan, Australian Defence Force
· Superintendent Graham Banks, Victoria Police
· Richard Chew from the Federation University Performing Arts department
· Carlos Castro, Victoria Trades Hall Young Workers Centre
· Bradley Smith, Federation University Jobs & Skills
· Gemma Kelly, Australian Catholic University
Middle and Senior students also heard a performance from the Federation University Performing Arts students, and the Junior school students enjoyed dressing up as their future career aspirations.
Congratulations to all the
VCAL students on running a wonderfully informative seminar and to all the
Senate team and staff who assisted on the day. We look forward to seeing the careers paths our talented VCAL students head towards.